Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Give'em Something To Talk About

This evening as I was out on my 3 mile walk I was listening to my iPod when a Bonnie Raitt song was played from the list of shuffled songs on my iPod. I immediately starting walking at a faster pace as I listened to Bonnie sing Let's Give Them Something To Talk About. Oh I was jammin', singing every word.

Immediately after the song ended, I started to phase out from listening to the next song that played on my iPod and started thinking about giving people something to talk about as it relates to my weight loss. You see it has not been an easy road for me and my weight gain.

As an ex-athlete it has not always been easy for me to accept my weight gain, nor has it been easy for people to communicate with me after seeing how much weight I have gained. Since I stopped participating in sports, I have packed on the pounds in a big way. While everyone who knew me as the athlete that was healthy and fit, when seeing classmates from high school or college now my weight gain has not been looked at in a positive way. Instead of asking me how I am doing after not seeing me in 5-10 years, the first thing someone says now is "look at you, you have gained so much weight, you don't play sports any more?". Shamelessly after this question is asked, I feel a huge pain that shoots through my body and I start to sink deeper into believing that I will never lose the weight. This has been a huge issue for me as I started to stay indoors or try to find places to shop, relax or eat where I do not believe I will run into any one from my past. Embarrassed to mention that if I see someone first while I am out, I used to (and sometimes still do) be sure I stayed out of the way of them seeing me. It is sad, but so very true. I find myself running from the people in my past as I am ashamed of the weight I have gained. I do not need for any one to remind me of how much I have failed and allowed myself to become this size.

You see Bonnie message in her song is clear where she wants to give them something to talk about, but I am going to remake her version this time around.....my version will be called "Let's Give Me Something To Talk About".......I will do it, watch...one day at a time.

-Embarrassed Fatty-

3 comments:

ernise said...

Way to stay positive, and change your attitude. Give them something to talk about as your transform yourself! Keep at it!

Yum Yucky said...

I'll be following your progress! You've got a great attitude. This is where it all begins - forget about the past.

The Crazy Woman Inside Me said...

You’re not alone. :-) I can really relate with what you said. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve avoided going places because I was afraid someone from my past would see me and me shocked (and disgusted) by how much weight I’d gained. And now, here I am, blogging about my weight struggles for all the world to see! LOL

--Susan